Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A bit about me

I have been selling on-line full-time for 6 years now. I started out as a media seller (books, video games, music, movies, etc.) on Half.com. It's kind of funny really because I was in college at the time and decided to sell my books on-line. That's when I discovered this whole new world. Once I graduated, I decided that this is what I wanted to do instead.

Half.com was eventually bought and destroyed by ebay, like so much else. So, I was forced to go where else but ebay. I started an ebay store and began working as a trading assistant, where I sold for others as well as myself. This was more hassle than it was worth but I discovered alot about all kinds of merchandise I wouldn't have known otherwise. So, I chalk that up to a good learning experience.

I eventually moved away from bought merchandise altogether and began selling altered art that I made, but I became too attached to continue. Finally, I began making gift type items, such as magnets, bookmarks, appliance decals, etc and that's what I've been doing ever since.

This works well for me because I make items only after an order comes in so I don't have to worry about storage. I can still be creative, but not so sentimental. I don't have to worry about photographing everything. I just use the pictures I make on my computer. It's great!

Now, however, I've closed my ebay store and am trying to move away from them completely. A lot of sellers I know are doing the same. Buyers probably don't know but ebay treats their sellers poorly, to say the least. They continue raising our fees while giving us less and less exposure. Now they've changed their feedback policies so that sellers cannot leave negative feedback, which may be great for buyers but simply unfair for sellers. Of course, I left before those changes took place because I have a baby now and wanted to focus more on him.

My blogs are a hobby for me when I do get that bit of free time but I will eventually try and get back into selling more. It is something I enjoy. My father was a salesman so it's in my blood.

No comments: